Transportation to University Guest House
Please find information on shuttle services to access the University Guest House and Conference Center at http://www.guesthouse.utah.edu/transportation.htm. Taxis cost around $30 from the SLC airport to the University Guest House, and the ride is about 25 minutes long. For a shuttle service, we recommend Express Shuttle (1.800.397.0773). They require 24 hour advance notice, and charge $17/person then $9 for every additional person (up to 3). For a group of 5 ~ 7 peoples, Express Shuttle charges $46 for one way trip. The University Guest House has 24-hr front-desk staff.
Transportation between UU and Snowsport Resorts
The conference will transport participants to and from ski resorts with University Campus Shuttle bus. The drivers are staff members of the University Campus Shuttle Service that have complied with the training and risk management requirements of University of Utah. We will stop by the ski rental - Breeze at the foothill location to pick up snowsport rentals on March 21st and and to drop off the rentals on March 22nd at its Park City Mountain Resort location. Please reserve online at the foothill location only. In order to receive a 25% off group discount for 10 people or more, please specify the group name - "Winter Conference on Business Intelligence" when you make a reservation.
Information for Presenters
- Each paper presentation is 22 minutes long, leaving 8 minutes for Q/A and presentation transition.
- Each panelist's presentation will be up to 10 minutes long leaving the bablance of the session to Q/A and discussion.
- A notebook will be available for PPT presentation. Please bring your presentation on a flash disk or send it to Grace Ko (email@example.com) by email in advance.
- Lift tickets - Discount lift tickets will be available at University of Utah's Campus Recreation Services (ORP) for regular conditions - e.g., regular full day and all lifts. Half-day, long-day, beginner areas, or child lift tickets don't have discounts and have to be purchased at the resorts. In the past, many participants are enjoyed half-a-day tickets at Alta, Snowbird, Deer Valley or Park City Mountain Resort at $49, $52, $55, or $62. Alternativelly, you can purchase discount lift tickets for slightly higher prices at the Breeze Ski Rental. Feel free to contact Grace Ko at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance with reserving and picking up discount lift tickets at ORP.
- Ski Rental - We recommend renting skis/snowboards for multiple days at Breeze. Please reserve at the foothill location only. In order to receive a 25% group discount for 10 people or more, please specify the group - "Winter Conference on Business Intelligence" when you make a reservation. For single day rental, it would be most convenient to rent at the resort of your choice on your snowsport day.
- Climate/clothing - The weather in March is warm. The temperature at the base of the lifts is likely to be from 20's to 40's Farenheit without considering the windshield effect, and drop by 10 degrees or more as you reach the top of the lifts. It is essential to wear right snowsport clothing for engaging in snowsports. You can find more detailed weather forecast for Alta, Snowbird, Deer Valley, and Park City resorts' websites.
- Snowsport lessons - Please visit websites of the ski resorts - www.alta.com, www.snowbird.com, www.deervalley.com, and www.parkcitymountain.com/winter/index.html for information on lessons. Please coordinate your ski rentals based on whether your lessons include rentals.
- The Alta Resort has been highly rated for its snow and local's favorites for its gentle and wide beginner runs as well as challenging double diamond runs. Alta is a skiing only resort.
- The Snowbird resort is popular for its high-speed tram and lifts as well as runs similar to Alta's. If interested, participants can purchase lift tickets to ski at both Alta and Snowbird must be purchased at either of the resort.
- The Deer Valley Resort, an upscale skiing only resort, has well groomed runs that skiers at all levels love. The runs are wide and gentle for beginners but also allow for high-speed and fun skiing.
- The Park City Mountain Resort is a popular world class resort with wide choices of runs. You can access some lifts until 7 pm by purchasing late-day lift tickets at the resort only.
March 20th Dinner Reception
All participants are invited to join a causal dinner reception at Dr. Olivia Sheng's residence. We will pick up participants at the front main lobby of University Guest House between 5:45 pm and 6:00 pm. If you wish to drive yourself, please email Grace Ko (email@example.com) for directions to the venue. Please come to kick off the fun spirit of the conference.
Food and Drinks at the Conference
Light continental breakfasts start at 7am at University Guest House Meeting Room C. Before boarding the shuttle, we will distribute lunch boxes for participants to enjoy on the bus or at the resorts. Vegetarian lunch boxes will be available. There will also be some snacks and bottled water for participants to pick up if needed for the trip to the resorts. Dinners will be provided at the venues indicated in the program. Alcohol drinks will not be available at dinner on March 21st. March 22nd's buffet dinner doesn't cover alcohol drinks, but the drinks are available at participants' own cost.